Diet plays an important role in lowering the risk of skin cancer as food also contributes to its development. Some foods increase the chances of contracting skin cancer while a few others helps in controlling the abnormal growth of the skin cells and thereby are proved to be highly effective in its treatment. Having the right diet can also decrease the risk of skin cancer. People with a genetic tendency of getting cancer must follow a certain type of diet and check these dietary tips.
- Intake of foods containing saturated fats should be lessened as fats trigger cancer going by the fact that tumor cells require low density lipoproteins to grow. Hence, it is important to plan a diet that aids in decreasing the LDL levels, thereby killing the cancerous cells from growing. Fat may also stimulate bile production and if large amount of fat is allowed to stagnate in the intestine for a longer duration then it gets converted into apcholic acid which is a proven carcinogen.
- Increase the fiber content in the food as research have shown that diet with rich fiber can decrease the risk of colorectal cancer. Potential carcinogens are moved inside the body through the intestine at a rapid pace and decreases the time of contact between the wall of the intestine and the carcinogens. More the exposure to carcinogens, higher is the risk of a person getting colon cancer. Fiber also binds the carcinogens faster and does the work of keeping them at bay from the wall of the intestine. Bile acids are also absorbed by fiber, thereby keeping these acids from acting on the bacteria to release the toxic substances that get produced by decaying particles of foods that are present in the colon- fecapentanes. The growth of good bacteria in the body is also promoted by fiber. These healthy bacteria can eject the unhealthy bacteria producing fecapentanes. People with risk of developing cancerous cells due to hereditary factors should include fiber in the diet to protect against the cancer. High fiber foods can also lessen the chances of getting breast cancer thorugh binding estrogen in bowels and thus reducing the harmful effects in the breast cell tissue.
- Eating lot of raw vegetables and fruits can also decrease the risk of different kinds of cancer. The appetite for fatty food items will also lessen with the eating of more vegetables and fruits. Phytochemicals present in plants also helps the body in fighting cancer. Compounds as present in fruits and vegetables are natural agents that block carcinogens such as phenols, flavones, cumines, isothiocyanates and indols. Include vegetables such as brussel sprouts, broccoli, mustard greens, cabbage, cauliflower and kale to boost the growth of cancer-protective bio-chemicals that block enzymes drawing carcinogens. Vegetables also contain compounds that do not allow the carcinogenic nitrosamines to form.
- Lower the content of red meat in your diet as fat in the red meat increase the chances of colon cancer. Risk of colon cancer is higher in people who consume beef, pork, lamb as animal fat in the diet increases the chance of developing colon cancer. Processed meat is highly associated with increased risk of colon cancer and therefore one should consume less fish and chicken while also increase the intake of fiber in the body. Doctors recommend people with risk of developing cancer to switch to plant fat as vegetable fat is not shown to have any connection with colon cancer.
- A diet rich in antioxidants can help a person in fighting cancer and protecting the membrane of intestinal cells. Free-radical reactions that trigger the bowel contents to become carcinogenic can also be prevented by including food substances that are high in antioxidants. Scientific study also suggests that food items having beta carotene and vitamins like vitamin E and C are good for lowering the risk of colorectal cancer. Furthermore, a high antioxidant rich diet can prevent faulty metabolism in the cell that can lead to cancer. Beta carotene has an anti-cancer effect on the body and will boost the immune system.
- Consuming more soy products will also provide the body with essential proteins and provide protection against cancerous cells. Anti-cancer effect of the soy products also makes it a must food item when planning a diet for those having a high risk of developing cancer.
- Including calcium in your daily diet can help a person in controlling the multiplication of epithelial cells lining the colon wall and decrease the risk of cancer. Cancer-producing bile acids are kept at bay with the help of food items having high calcium content.
Introducing dietary changes and following an anti-cancer diet can significantly lower the chances of all types of cancers.